5 Interesting Facts About Quartz That You Should Know About

According to the National Kitchen and Bath Association, kitchen and bathroom renovations are the most popular home upgrades for American households. One in every 10 households performs a kitchen remodel each year -- roughly 10.2 million kitchens -- and approximately 14.2-million-bathroom remodels. The total kitchen and bath remodel and replacement market is currently valued at approximately $85 billion.

Countertops are arguably the most important work surface, with most homeowners looking forward to replacing them. Quartz countertops have cut out a niche for themselves, making them a popular option for homeowners and kitchen designers alike.

But what do you know about this man-made, engineered slab? Here are seven interesting facts to note about a quartz countertop.

1. Quartz Countertop Is an Engineered Stone

Most people get shocked when they realize that quartz countertops are not solid quartz. Unlike their natural stone counterparts, it is an engineered stone made from ground particles and resins. Approximately 7% of the total material volume in your countertop isn’t stone at all, but rather polyester resins and color pigments. The rest of the 93% comes from crushed natural quartz, granite, marble, and recycled industrial wastes such as glass, silica, ceramic, or mirrors.

2. Quartz Countertops Are Eco-Friendly

Over 90% of the stone-like materials that make up this countertop for kitchen remodeling are made from recycled material. The base material for these countertops is all by-products of other quarrying or manufacturing processes. As such, manufacturers do not have to quarry any natural stone for the sole use of the countertops. However, it is interesting to note that natural quartz is the second-most abundant mineral in the Earth’s crust after feldspar. It occurs in nearly all rocks.

3. Quartz and Quartzite Are Quite Different

Judging by the names, most homeowners often think that quartz and quartzite countertops are one and the same. However, a quartzite countertop is carved from natural stone. Quartzite begins as sandstone, which under natural heat and pressure fuses with sparkly quartz crystals to form quartzite. As a natural stone, it is porous and may require frequent sealing. On the contrary, quartz countertops are extremely durable slabs that require little to no maintenance.

4. Quartz and Granite Have Their Markets

In the early days, countertop manufacturers would often market their products as excellent imitations to natural stone. Quartz sought a reputation as a durable, less porous, and easily fabricated alternative to granite and marble slabs. As the popularity of the countertops continues to increase, manufacturers are slowly dropping the ‘imitation’ tag for a more one-of-a-kind appeal. There are virtually endless design options when it comes to the colors and venation of quartz countertops.

5. Quartz Is Also a Popular Flooring Option

While it remains one of the most coveted countertop materials in kitchen design stores, it’s also a popular option in tiles and flooring. The durability and easy-to-clean properties of the engineered stone make it a popular option for areas that experience high foot traffic such as airports and shopping malls. It lays testament to its impermeability and longevity properties that you can enjoy as a kitchen countertop.

Time to Consider Getting a New Countertop

Quartz is an interesting, engineered slab that is carving out a niche for itself in the remodeling space. For more information on any countertops, feel free to contact Supreme Stone Inc.

Set up your in-home design consultation.

One of our knowledgeable professionals will visit your space to capture all the measurements and specifications necessary to provide accurate and competitive pricing.
(617) 606-0868

Skip the site visit and complete our easy online form.

If you have the measurements of your space, or an idea of the type of material you're looking for, fill out our online form and we'll get back to you with a rough estimate of cost and lead time.
Request A Quote

Connect With Us

©2022 Supreme Stone Inc.
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram